Climb and Maintain ...

The flying adventures of a software engineer in the Pacific Northwest.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Livin' la Vida JeppView

In a previous post, I mentioned that I bought JeppView electronic charts. Since I've had a couple of opportunities to use these charts in the "real world", it's time to give an update on how I'm doing with them.

JeppView comes with a license to install on up to 4 computers, provided that you do not use more than one copy of the software at a time. I ended up installing on two machines: my desktop machine at home, as well as my Toshiba M200 Tablet PC. The installation went mostly OK; however, since my tablet does not have a built-in CD-ROM drive, I had to jump through some hoops to install JeppView over the network. While the procedure was somewhat difficult (it does not help that Jeppesen's installation program does not detect that I inserted a new disk into the CD drive if the CD drive is used over the network), I do think that most people probably have internal or external CD-ROM drives available for their laptops.

The Jeppesen electronic IFR package comes with two main applications: JeppView, which is meant to be used from a desktop computer and allows for viewing, packaging, and printing charts, and FliteDeck, which is meant to be used as an electronic chart viewer in the cockpit.

While I have not flown an actual approach using the FliteDeck software alone (that is, an approach without printed-out paper charts), I did bring the laptop along when Milen was flying left seat. I made the following observations:
  • The display on my tablet, although not the brightest, is mostly readable in sunlight. Of course, it's more readable when there is no sun, but it's good to know that theoretically, I'd be able to read the plate even with the sun shining.
  • The software is, once you figure out the pictograms/icons, quite easy to use. And, it has smart features -- it's not just a simple single-screen approach plate viewer. While I won't go into detail on JeppView features, it is worth pointing out that Jeppesen's approach plate viewer is divided into two areas: a larger window that covers about 70% of the screen, and a smaller one below which covers the remaining 30%. Clicking on the big window alternates between viewing the whole chart versus a zoomed-in plan view. Clicking on the little window alternates between zoomed in Briefing Strip, profile view, and minimums view. If you want to zoom in even more on a chart, that feature is available, too. Essentially, you can view the entire approach chart, and zoom in/out, without having to click on clumsy (and little) scroll bars -- and I'm sure clicking on those in turbulent air would not be the easiest thing in the world.
  • The tablet, although with a small screen by today's standards (12-inch), is somewhat big and clumsy to use in a general aviation cockpit environment. In the Cessna 172, the control wheel gets in the way, and I'm sure it would be the same case in a Piper Arrow. There is not much room between the seats to securely store the computer when not in use, either. And, laptop screens tend to be delicate -- so you cannot just put the computer anywhere with the screen exposed -- it could get scratched, or worse, cracked.
  • I cannot afford to lose the stylus (pen) of the tablet in the cockpit. Since my tablet does not have a touch screen, I need to use the stylus to access the FliteDeck interface -- for everything from picking the airport to view terminal procedures for, to selecting the procedure, to navigating around the chart. It would be a good idea to invest into some kind of a tethering wire, such that if the stylus ever slips away, it remains within easy reach.
  • Overall, I still seem to prefer paper charts. :- For now, I'm going to stick to my planned mode of operation: print out the charts I anticipate I will need, and bring the charged laptop along just in case there is some procedure I need that I did not print out prior to flight.

FliteDeck's desktop cousin, JeppView, has a familiar interface if you've ever used AOPA's RealTime Flight Planner. In fact, it seems like JeppView uses the same basic interface as RealTime Flight Planner with some extra tabs and side windows tacked on. But, that's for another blog entry. I'll post some of the experiences with JeppView, as well as some things that I wish it did a little better. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home